Monday, June 1, 2009

Topped up my vitamin D today!

It seems like such a while that I have updated this, apart from terrible excuse for a post the other day but I have been quite busy you see. Galway is currently hosting the Volvo Ocean Race , it is all very exciting. Galway was selected as a stopover, so we are having a big festival at the moment. There is a big Race Village that hosts, stalls, food and stages. There are bands on every night from about 6:30 to 11pm, as I live very close to the docks where it is all being held, myself and the rest of Galway city have been heading out every night to enjoy all of the festivities that the festival is offering. It has been lots of fun so far, but I am exhausted and there is still a week to go. 
It is also the end of a bank holiday weekend and the city was FULL and mental busy. It was crazy, they opened the streets to people, so you could get your drink inside and then pour your drink into a plastic tumbler and go drink in the street, some pubs had outdoors bars so that you didn't even have to go inside. So as soon as the last band of the night finished everyone rushed to the main street of the city. It was great craic. Great atmosphere. I think that on Saturday night the whole population of County Galway and surrounding counties embarked on the Race Village for the night concert, it was madness. I stayed in tonight though, a bit tired from lying in the sun all day :p
This weekend also brought the most glorious weather - it was roasting. You were mad to stay inside. It was HOT. We sat in the square in town this afternoon and it was so warm. It was only 25 degrees at the hottest part of the weekend but it felt so much hotter. But it was just wonderful and so good to see everyone out, kids playing in the fountain, sqirting each other with water pistols, people were swimming in the sea, people sunbaking. Just great!!
I had to buy sunscreen today, couldn't get any at the supermarket because it had basically sold out by this arvo. BUT sunscreen is sooo expensive here, it is terrible. There were so many burnt people wandering around today. 
I also had a friend who I met in Dublin come down for the weekend so that was lots of fun, I got to play tour guide :) 
This evening the power went out (we blamed the race), it was a great way to make new friends in our apartment block, i found myself standing on our balcony yelling into the apartment next door giving them updates. Friend making. 
All in all the last week and a bit has been lots of fun, once this is all over I will be having a BIG sleep. 
All my love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment